GSG Series GPS/GNSS Simulators
GPS Simulators Overview
Our GPS/GNSS satellite simulators are easy to use, scenario-based instruments that combine a powerful, feature-rich platform with industry-leading value and affordability for any requirement for GPS testing.
Spectracom GSG series simulators generate the same RF signals that are broadcast by navigation satellites to test any device or system with a GPS receiver. Several different configurations are available but all are upgradeable to add capability as your needs for GPS testing grows.
GSG Series Simulator Benefits
- Powerful and accurate
- Lowest cost-of-ownership
- Lightweight and portable
- All constellations available: GPS, GLONASS, Galileo, BeiDou, QZSS, IRNSS
- 1-64 channels (used for satellites, interference, multipath); sync multiple units for more
- Multi-frequency: L1, L2, L2C, L5, E1, E5, B1, B2; coming soon: E6, B3
- Variable output: -65 to -160 dBm
- High accuracy timing
See our application packages for specific test requirements, then tell us what else you need
Easy scenario-based testing
- Test any condition with built-in or user-defined scenarios
- Define trajectories: Via Google, in real-time from a data stream, from recorded data, and more
- GSG StudioView Windows software makes creating, editing and managing scenarios simple
- Test various impairments to the GPS signal including multi-path, interference, jamming, spoofing, atmospheric effects and more
- Easy to set-up and operate
- Compact and lightweight (~ 3 Kg / 6 lbs)
- Standalone (front panel) operation or remote control via USB, Ethernet, GPIB
- Just connect the RF cable to your receiver or set-up an over-the-air test with a radiating antenna in an RF shielded environment
- The standard for performance/price
- Modular hardware/software platform protects your investment
- Purchase only the features you need, upgrade when necessary; future GNSS signals fully supported
Single-channel GPS/GNSS L1 RF Generator
The GSG-51 is a GNSS signal generator that emulates a single satellite signal. The main application is a simple but very fast manufacturing test, to assure that the assembly is correct, that the antenna is properly connected, and that the receiver can receive and identify a satellite signal. It provides a fast and cost-effective solution for production test of GNSS-receivers in e.g. mobile phones with integrated GNSS-receivers. Thanks to the wide RF level range from –65 to –160 dBm, the sensitivity of all types of GNSS receivers can be veriﬁed with a minimum of delay. The 60 dB of extra power from normal test scenarios allows from splitting the signal many times.
Easy to Use
GSG-51 users can conﬁgure settings without the need for an external PC and pre-compilation phase. Via the front panel, the user can swiftly modify parameters such as satellite ID, time and power output. The front panel can be locked out to prevent accidental power down or configuration changes. Once initiated the unit can simulate for 31 days continuously (or indefinitely if the unit is connected to the internet).
As the base model of the popular 5 Series GNSS Simulator family, this affordable unit can be upgraded at any time after purchase to increase the channel count, add receiver trajectory control, and add advanced features such as SBAS (WAAS, EGNOS, MSAS, or GAGAN), white noise generation, or multipath simulation. Some restrictions apply. Your investment is protected as you can purchase now, and upgrade later, as needed, when your requirements change.
Multi-channel GPS/GNSS L1 RF Generator
The GSG-5 series is a GPS, GLONASS, Galileo, BeiDou, and QZSS constellation simulator that generates all commercial signals in the standard L1 band. It offers the standard set of features for testing GNSS systems. With a base of four channels, configurable and upgradable to 8, 16, or more signals, this configuration is the perfect fit for navigational ﬁx and position testing, for in-line product testing or engineering and development.
Easy To Use
GSG-5 users can conﬁgure scenarios on-the-ﬂy without the need for an external PC and pre-compilation phase. Via the front panel, the user can swiftly modify parameters such as user position, time and power output. And using the StudioView™ software facilitates easily created scenarios via a Google Maps interface.
As the base model of the popular 5 Series GNSS Simulator family, this affordable unit can be upgraded at any time after purchase to increase the channel count, add new GNSS constellations and advanced simulation capabilities. Some restrictions apply. Your investment is protected as you can purchase now, or upgrade later, as needed, when your requirements change.
Connectivity Extends Ease of Use and Flexibility
The GSG-5 can be controlled via an Ethernet network connection, USB or GPIB. A built-in web interface allows complete operation of the instrument through front panel controls. With the GSG StudioView™ PC Software, you can build, edit, and manage the most complex scenarios, independent of the unit, for later upload.
Multi-channel, Multi-Frequency GPS/GNSS RF Generator
The GSG-6 Series family offers multiple frequency band operation, multiple GNSS constellation simulation, and expansion to many more channels. Incorporating all of the features of the popular 5 Series family, the 6 Series line expands your capability to simulate all the new, emerging GNSS satellite signals. With a base of 32 channels, upgradable to 48, 64, or more, it provides navigational ﬁx and position testing, for engineering and development testing. The 6 Series simulator protects your investment by being upgradeable in the future to more frequency bands and channels (plug-in hardware upgrade) and more signal formats (ﬁrmware upgrade).
All the features of the GSG-5 series and more
The GSG-6 series offers more channels and GNSS signals on multiple simultaneous frequencies. For example, the GSG-6 supports testing dual frequency (L1/L2) receivers and military secure SAASM modules with pseudo P(Y) code with M-code coming soon.
Currently the GSG-6 series also supports new GPS signals L2C, L5; GLONASS L2; Galileo E5; BeiDou B2; and IRNSS L5.
An ideal solution for testing GPS time transfer
Besides the variety of built-in navigation/positioning tests, the GSG-6 is also suited for testing the accuracy of timing receivers. All GSG models are equipped with an ultra-high-stability OCXO timebase for precision timing of the satellite data, or use external synchronization from a 10 MHz reference from e.g. a Cesium or Rubidium clock. A built-in 1-pps output, synchronized to the generated satellite data, allows comparison with the 1-pps signal from the timing receiver under test. And the OPT-TIM option provides a ten times improvement in timing calibration accuracy.
There are 3 hardware configurations of the GSG-6 Series
Each configuration adds 16 channels and another frequency that can be simultaneously simulated. You can upgrade models by returning the unit to the factory.
- GSG-62: 32 channels and 2 simultaneous frequencies
- GSG-63: 48 channels and 3 simultaneous frequencies
- GSG-64: 64 channels and 4 simultaneous frequencies
- GPS and L1 is included and the second frequency and other constellations are ordered from the list of available options.
- You can order more frequencies than the unit is capable of generating simultaneously in the case of testing L1+L2 and then later testing L1+L5.
- You do not need to order as many frequencies as the unit is capable of generating in the case of ordering the hardware to generate multiple frequencies, and then ordering frequency options later as a firmware upgrade without the need of returning the unit to the factory.
GPS/GNSS Test Scenario Builder Software for Windows®
GSG StudioView™ offers an easy way to create, edit and back-up complex scenarios for a Spectracom GSG series multi-channel GPS/GNSS simulator. GSG StudioView allows users to build and manage visual trajectories and supports the import and conversion of trajectory files from other software applications and devices such as Google Earth.
Even though the ability to manage scenarios without the need of an external computer is an advantage of GSG simulators, StudioView Windows® software offers the following benefits for the test engineer:
- Simple creation, editing and organization of all scenario parameters including dynamic events
- Create, edit and visualize trajectories with mapping tools
- Convert trajectories from CSV, KML, KMZ and GPX files to the required NMEA format
- Create scenario files (including events and trajectories) without the need to be connected to a simulator
Easy Trajectory Building and Dynamic Event Management
A key feature of GSG StudioView is the ability to create and modify the simulation of a moving receiver. Easily create visual trajectories with Google Maps. Or import trajectories from most other software applications and devices such as Google Earth. The software converts a list of waypoints from a CSV file, or waypoints, routes and tracks from a GPX file (GPS exchange format) into NMEA as required by the unit. Google KML and KMZ files can be opened, edited, and saved. Each waypoint can be specified. When converting a trajectory file to NMEA format, you specify altitude and speed at each waypoint or use a constant value for the trajectory. Trajectory waypoints can be interpolated at a set interval from 100 msec to 1 hour.
Download Ephemeris and Almanac Data
Based on the scenario start time and duration, GSG StudioView software identifies and pre-downloads the relevant RINEX files from official websites. Once the scenario is uploaded to the simulator, no further downloads are required.
Simple File Management and Control
When ready to upload (or download) the scenario files to any GSG unit, simply connect through the network, USB, or GPIB interfaces and use the built-in file manager. Drop and drag files, use predefined hotkeys for copy, delete or rename either on the PC side or the GPS simulator side. Or use the "uploader" to batch upload scenarios, or firmware files, to several units simultaneously. Also included is "console" function to send SCPI commands to a connected unit, and view the response. The software comes standard with multi-language support. English and Russian are currently supported. Contact us if other languages are desired.